Friday 1 July 2011

It's just a logistical problem....

I think I'm all sorted for the trip to the Etape.  Forget the riding-the-bike bit, just getting there and back will be a nightmare.

Having the family there has mixed blessings. It will be nice to have them around, and, hopefully, we can enjoy some of the weekend together. From a logistical point of view, it will be helpful to have Jo dump me at the start and scrape me up off the tarmac at the finish.  If I was going on my own this would be difficult, and I would end up with the shuttle bus, or a tour operator. If I was going on my own I would have liked to have gone down for a few day before and after to enjoy the mountains, ride a bit more, have a bit of a break, but as the boys are still in school term time, we have to get back pretty quickly. Getting down and back with everybody is a big trek and will subject the boys to 4 days in the car, with very little opportunity to play or enjoy themselves.

So, the plan is :



Friday :
Burbage to Folkstone  3 hours
Eurotunnel 35min
Calais to Beaune 6 hours.
( just south of Dijon )

Friday night hotel in Beaune ( Kyriad )

Saturday
Beaune to Modane 4 hours
Visit the Etape village, get number etc.
Modane to Lanslebourg Mont Cenis, 30 min

Apartment 2 nights ( Les Valmonts )

Sunday
Rest, play, swim in pool. Watch F1. Eat.

Monday
Ride the 20k downhill to the etape start at 6:30 am
Ride over a couple of mountains !?!
Ride down from the finish.
Meet Jo and the boys in Bourg d'Oisans ( just below Alpe d'Huez )
Drive up to Beaune.

Tuesday
As before, but in reverse:
Beaune, Calais, Eurotunnel, home.

The travelling is going to be a killer. The boys are pretty good in the car, and don't usually make a fuss, but I'm guessing this is going to push them to the limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment