Saturday 21 May 2011

Burbage to Bardon to Beacon and back

I have to face the fact that I need to get some vertical metres as well has horizontal miles in the training. So the Saturday morning route took in Leicestershire's highest point : a not very high Beacon Hill at 220m. A steady climb 6%- 10% from Quorn up to the top:




Just for a quick reality check, this is what it looks like on the Etape profile scale :



I think I'm in trouble!

May try to get out and about a bit more over the next month. I'll ask around and see where I can go. Probably just stick the bike in the car and drive to the bottom of some thing hilly, do an evening of hill repeats and drive home again.

I quite like the simplicity of a training ride that has the same metres climbed as the etape. Obviously not on a single climb, but 10 repeats of Beacon hill would be a start. 10 x 15 minutes (up) + 8 min (down) = about 4 hours of the same bit of road. Not much fun. Total climbing in the Etape is 3600m.


One of the other thoughts to come out of this ride was that I need to think more about my fueling. Felt pretty rubbish after an hour and really struggled at 2 hours. I think I need to try to eat more real food (bananas, fig rolls, flapjack for a start) rather than just Go Bars and PSP drink. ( Not having a nice bottle of Red wine the night before may also help ;o)

Now only 50 days to go.

Tim.

1 comment:

  1. I just re-read this post and saw the added graphic. Doesn't seem like training on that climb will get you very far, unless you do it 20 times a ride!

    Looks like you are keeping the heart rate up on your races, at least. I'm sure that'll pay off in July. Good luck with the training.

    ReplyDelete